Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Girl (and man) Interrupted

I confess I don’t know a lot about the intricate workings of the space inside the metal box which I call my computer and I certainly don’t know how one minute you can be talking to someone and the next you have no connection, and yet when you turn your computer back on again in the morning its working.

This has happened to me at least twice this week and I think once last week.

Last night I decided to phone the providers support line. First I had to go through 3 different number menus. Then when I got to the right one, I had to wait while they listed the known issues affecting their service. None of these were the same problem as I was having, so I did as I was told and waited for someone to answer my call. And I waited and waited. I gave up in the end and phoned the main number again, hoping to talk to someone who hadn’t recorded their voice directing me to push buttons on my phone. Again, I waited and waited until I got fed up with waiting and went to bed.

This morning my computer and internet connection were working fine. I could read my emails and I was even able to send a message, which they will get when they sign into messenger, to the person I was in the middle of a very interesting conversation with last night, to explain why I had suddenly disappeared. I didn’t want them to think I was being rude and just ignoring them. I decided to phone the support line to explain what had been happening and to see if there was anything wrong with my connection. After various tests and lots of switching on and off of different parts of my set up, I was told they couldn’t find anything wrong and that if it happens again I was not to touch a thing and phone back.

Two hours later and, hey presto, as if by magic, from nowhere, without any warning, with no excuses, my internet connection stopped and I was stranded in mid cyberspace, not able to move off the Blogshares site.

Another phone call and straight through this time, to someone with a heavy accent which I could barely understand. He, without even asking me hardly any question said ‘You have a problem with your router’. I tried to explain to him about my phone call earlier in the day, that everything had been checked and it was all working fine but , as is typical for a man talking to a woman about technical things, he ignored me. In the end I gave up and said I would disconnect the router and phone back if I still couldn’t join my friends in cyberspace.

As you may have already guessed, ten minutes later I was back on the phone, unfortunately talking to the same man. This time I had to look at my control panel, all fine there. Then reconfigure my computer to the modem (I think that’s what I was doing) and as soon as I had done that up popped the small window telling me I had 49 emails in my inbox. I was back online. I said thanks to the man on the end of the phone and set about writing this blog. I’m not sure how long I will be here or if the connection will last, I don’t hold out much hope to be honest, things seem to be running very slow. I just hope I stay long enough to publish this and then I can go and make a coffee.


Luize said...

The support used to good when it was blueyounder!
It could just be the wires outside rotting again? or just incompetence of Virgin media.

Ladybristol said...

So far so good. You'll have to put the router back on when you get home :)