Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sun, Sand and Rum Punch

I'm tired and it's only 10pm. If you know me you may be wondering how that can be. If you don't know me you may be thinking 'so what'.

I'm a bit of a night owl and don't go to bed until at least 1.30am, usually later. Tonight I think I will be going as soon as I've finished this blog.

It all started when I was talking to friends about the last holiday I had, which is nearly a year ago now. The talk lead me to looking at my holiday photos and that lead me to wishing I was back in Barbados again.

It was so hot there and the sea was so warm.
I can still, if the house is very quiet, imagine lying on the beach with just the sound of the waves crashing on the sand. The beach we used to go to was like our own personal space. In the two weeks we were there only a hand full of people used the same beach and they were usually men coming home from work. They would park their bikes up at the edge of the sand, take off their tee-shirts and run into the sea, while I just lay there, soaking up the sun, thoughts of England far away.

Still with Barbados on my mind I went shopping at Tesco the other night and came across a drink which looked the same as the Barbados Rum Punch I used to drink while sitting on the balcony waiting for the night life to begin. Although the label on the bottle of Rum Punch said 'Ready to drink' it was clear from the first sip I had that it was far stronger than even the double vodka and cokes I drink while at home.


Anyway, back to the pink drink in Tesco. The drink was called Caribbean Twist, 'A sparkling blend of exotic fruit with Superior White Rum' Once again my thoughts went back to the hot lazy days on the beach, the slow pace of life and the very friendly people. I put one bottle into my trolley and decided I would save it for when I was sat out in the garden on one of those 'too hot to do anything' days.

I know today wasn't one of those days but I couldn't wait any longer. As soon as I got home from work I switched the TV on, tuned it to the football, got my bottle of Caribbean Twist out of the fridge and got myself a nice tall glass. I poured the drink so the glass was full and took my first sip. Ummm, not as strong as the Rum Punch but just as nice. I sat watching the football, shouting at the TV every now and then and before I knew it the bottle was empty.

Since then I have watched another game of football, which Germany were lucky to win, read some blogs written by other people and sat and wrote this one. Now I know why I don't usually drink at home, I can hardly keep my eyes open.

Time for bed I think.

No comments: